Scheduling Your Session
Newborn sessions are best if scheduled within the first 14 days. Within the first 7-10 days is ideal for a nice sleepy baby, so make sure to contact us as soon as you can after your little one is born. Sessions are the morning or early afternoon between 9:30am and 1:30pm. Evenings are not ideal for newborns because they tend to be more awake and are more likely to cluster feed. Newborn sessions are scheduled on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. If there are special circumstances a weekend may be an option but is not a guarantee.
Before You Arrive
• If you are nursing avoid spicy foods and caffeine for 24 hours prior to your session. Your little one's belly is getting used to your milk and this will hopefully avoid any gas or stomach issues
• Try to keep your baby awake for one hour prior to our session. I know this is hard, but do your best - this will help ensure a very sleepy baby for our session.
• Dress your baby in loose fitting clothing that zips or buttons up the middle so if they arrive sleeping we can undress him/her easily without waking. Avoid onesies or clothing that will have to go over baby’s head.
• Feed your baby right before leaving for the studio. Even if it is not a regular feeding time offer them a feeding. A full sleepy baby is always best.
What to Bring
• If you are formula feeding or pumping make sure to bring extra milk and a bottle
• A pacifier for soothing
• Special items you would like photographed with your baby
Don't worry if you forget to bring diapers, wipes, pacifiers or diaper cream. We keep those items in stock at the studio. We also provide snacks, coffee and water for you, but feel free to bring your own snacks or food as well.
Parent and Sibling Portraits
Parent and sibling shots are typically taken first. Family shots are taken on a grey, white or tan backdrop. We recommend wearing solid neutral colors, especially grey, white, tan or cream. Older siblings can wear a light colored shirt to match the gender of the baby, solid neutral colors, jeans and/or dresses for girls. Try to avoid busy patterns and graphics.
**Keeping the studio quiet and calm is crucial to achieving the best shots of your baby. Once the sibling shots are complete, we highly recommend that a spouse/partner take siblings home or out for something fun while we finish up. We do have a kids play area to keep them busy if they have to remain in the studio.
Session Length & Details
For a Full Newborn Session plan on your session being around 2-3 hours. The younger the baby the less likely chance we will need all 3 hours, but we still recommend it to avoid any stress. Also, the studio is kept at a very warm 80 degrees during the session. This keeps baby warm and sleepy. A fan is located in the client sitting area for your comfort. You also may want to bring more comfortable clothing to change into after the family portraits are complete.
Upon scheduling we will discuss colors, props and ideas you have. We have blankets, baskets, hats, headbands, wraps, and many more props. We also have clothing for children and mom’s to use as well. And if you have specific items you would like photographed, you are welcome to bring them to your session.
If you follow the above instructions on preparing your baby we will mostly likely have a successful shoot. But remember, we are at the mercy of your precious little one, so do not be overwhelmed if your baby is cranky or will not “cooperate.” We will still get many amazing photos that you will cherish for a lifetime.
To better prepare for your session I have a few questions for you to answer. Please fill out the Newborn Session Questionnaire below prior to our session. Thank you, I look forward to capturing some beautiful memories for you!